Thursday, May 12, 2011

Day 164 - The Grades

It's time to analyze how the training went over the past 6 months. There are reasons why I don’t think I’ll be able to exceed my goals (I have three of them), but that will be for a different blog. For now, grades for different elements of my training. It's based on my expectations at the beginning of the process and how I felt I met those expectations.

Nutrition – “B-”

Eating better was something that I started a few years ago but I tried to improve it during the past six months. The key was eating a lot more vegetables and reducing the amount of meat. My eating habits improved, but the quantity of vegetables consumed has dropped over the past two months and I did go on a chocolate bar binge for a while. I also planned to keep track of eating through an online site – but only kept a diary for a few weeks.

Running – “A”

I didn’t miss a run because of lack of effort. I had a cold that lasted a few days that dropped my mileage for one week and an injury that kept me off the roads for another. With the injury I did substitute some runs with workouts on a stationary bike. It wasn’t as good as running, but it was better than no running. The guilt associated with not completing a quality workout, or not getting close to my mileage was encouraged by the number of people pledging and the dollars that were being pledged. I’m very happy that I was able to stay committed to the training program. It wasn’t easy.

Post-Runs – “A”

Especially after quality runs, there’s a routine that I followed. I made sure I ate or drank something almost immediately when I got home. I started out with chocolate milk, then advanced to special shakes bought at nutrition shops. I would put on an ice wrap around my knees for ten minutes at a time – whether I was feeling pain there or not. Throughout the rest of the day – especially if it was a long run – I’d make sure I ate healthy and I would time my eating so that it was not too close together or too far apart. After every quality run I did this – I was desperate not too lose the gains I had made after a hard workout.

Injury Prevention – “A”

In order to get an “A” in this category I only had to get to the start line injury free. I had one minor issue several months ago when I had a problem with my right foot. The pain was bad enough that I had to stop running and I was concerned there was structural damage. I got some medical advice (including an x-ray) and found that it wasn’t structural and I could run with it. It got better but the problem never fully went away. Before I run I double up a type of band-aid I got at the drugstore on the problem spot. It hasn’t gotten any worse and I don’t feel it at all when I run.

Experiments – “B”

I tried out a lot of different things so that when race day came, I would be ready. I tried different gels, different ways of transporting gels, trying different foods before I ran, different underwear (seriously), body glide, band aids to stop nipple chaffing. I also tried out a race – the Chilly Half Marathon. It was a great experience and I’m taking a lot from that run into the marathon, but I think trying out a few more races – or at least one more – would have been a good idea.

Rest/Sleeping Habits – “B”

Another tough habit to get into is sleeping right. I was getting my 8 hours of sleep, but because of my schedule it was often erratic as to when I went to bed and when I woke up. It didn’t have to be – so it is one area that I could have paid more attention to.

Overall – “A”

Truthfully – I’m not sure if I could have realistically done more. Yes , I could have eaten more vegetables, gone to bed at 10pm every night, never leave the house, weight trained, etc. But there’s a point where you have stop yourself – remember you’re not a pro athlete and that balance is important for EVERY part of life. Being so focused on being healthy, isn’t healthy.

I will be going to the start line satisfied with what I accomplished over the past 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment