Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 147 - 20 Days To Go

A friend of mine recently had a conversation with a colleague of his regarding my run a few weeks from now. The end result of the conversation was doubt that I would break 3 hours 30 minutes in my first ever marathon. The colleague is a runner and has run multiple marathons - so it would be foolish to completely dismiss the doubt.

Part of the problem I've been struggling with is that this is my first ever marathon and I don't have anything I can compare it to. I've read up about "the wall" - which apparently hits in the last 10km. One person I talked to told me your mind starts to do weird things when you get near the end of a marathon.

So where does this leave me? With some doubt. But I'm not going to change my goals - there's a lot worse things that can happen than not achieving a goal. I will not be devastated if I cross the finish line in 4 hours or 5 hours - I know the work I've put towards achieving the goal. Sometimes that's more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment